As if writing your resume, LinkedIn or interviewing isn’t hard enough. Let’s not make it harder by taking ownership of things that aren’t ours.
I’m going to touch on the talking about yourself aspect. It’s hard. I get it. It feels like you’re bragging. To avoid this, most people go the opposite way. They get generic, like using job duties as bullet points. Don’t do that.
Instead, talk about what you did, with whom, to make something better. Tell your story. For a crash course in storytelling, check out this article: Do You Know Why No One Calls You For an Interview Youre Telling Them Not To
Now, let’s address something that happens without our awareness. Taking on someone else’s failure.
Here is your mantra for the day: their failure doesn’t negate my success.
- I spoke to three clients the other day and this theme came up with each one of them.
- One was hired to complete a project and she knocked it out of the park.
- Another put together a future-forward, take it to the next level tech/marketing plan.
The third put together an amazing team who (honestly) is too good for the company.
After all they have done…
- The company wasn’t ready, and planned poorly, their bottom fell out.
- The company got scared and is stuck in a outdated comfort zone so the project was shelved.
- The company isn’t interested in investing in any more training or promoting.
Each client killed it. Each company failed.
They no longer saw what they did. They took ownership of the company’s failure. They couldn’t see their own success, value, or contribution. It is as if they were saying, “Yeah, I did do some amazing things but since they didn’t come to fruition, they don’t count.”
Yes, they do.
When you tell your story in your resume, LinkedIn, or any other branding – you control the narrative. You tell the story you want them to know. Don’t let the failure overshadow your victory.
Showcase what you did, learned, achieved, prevented –the value you contributed or gained.
Take ownership – good or bad – of what is yours. Tell your story. Show how you can bring the value others need. That way you get the attention of the company that’s right for you and won’t fail you.
As an award winning, published, triple certified Professional Resume Writer, Career Coach & Social Media Brand Analyst I do what I love – help amazing professionals get career happy.
Click here – CareerPolish.com – to find out more.